About Vermiculite

To learn more about vermiculite, read the following faqs:

What is vermiculite?

Vermiculite is a fire-resistant mineral that easily expands when heated to 1000 degrees C˚. As it expands, pockets of air are created within its structure, making it a once common material for building insulation in 1980 and earlier homes and commercial buildings.

Why should vermiculite be removed from my home?

Even though Vermiculite itself has not been shown to pose a health risk, some vermiculite insulation may contain asbestos fibres, which do pose a health risk if it is disturbed and becomes airborne.

How can I minimize the risk of asbestos exposure from vermiculite?

Do not remove or disturb the insulation.  You do not want to cause any of the asbestos fibres to become airborne. Call a hazardous material removal company that is experienced with safe vermiculite removal. In the meantime, you may want to seal all ceiling cracks or holes from which the asbestos fibers might sift through.

 

To learn more about vermiculite, select from the following external resource:

Vermiculite Insulation Containing Amphibole Asbestos
Publisher: Health Canada